Search through Graphic Competitions
8th International Emirates Photo Contest
Photographers from around the world are invited to submit their work to the Eighth International Emirates Photography Competition which is being held under the patronage of the International Federation of Photographic Art (FIAP), the American Photographic Society (PSA) and the United Photographers International (UPI).
Aimed at developing UAE photography, encouraging and attracting talented artists, and supporting professional photographers, the competition features specialised workshops, exchange meetings and seminars, and is complemented by solo and group exhibitions - in the UAE and abroad.
One of the world’s most important professional competitions, the Emirates Photography Competition receives all types of creative work, whether modern or classic. Submissions include installations, panorama, modern technical artistic processes, digital photographic artworks and printing works.
Each year the competition features a main theme – encouraging photographers to research and work on new creative ideas – as well as general themes. There’s also a focus on young photographers. This year’s main theme – Decisive Moment – is inspired by Turkish artist Yusof Karsh and his work, celebrating the importance of research, study and reflection.
There are also seven General Themes:
• Nature: Characterised by its diversity – from stunning natural landscapes tobeautiful flowers and plants and amazing animals andbirds- the natural world is full of rich images and provides a myriad of opportunities to capture stunning images.
• Creative - Experimental: Creative and experimental photographs are one of the main components of all photography schools, and are very common in digital photography. Unlike traditional photographs, there is a certain ‘plot’ that is related to integrations and installations, showing the unfamiliar parts of the themes we tackle in an abstract way, even if they appear to be real.
• Travel: Over the years, many photographers largely depended on shooting photographs while travelling. To the photographer, countries and cultures are an inexhaustible reservoir of visions. EPC is looking for your vision of the world – and your way of capturing artistic insights and narrating through images your photographic journey.
• Colours: Colours are the foundation and joy of life, and are the spirit of any photograph. Explore their details, contrasts and variations.
• Future Image by Future Eyes: This is a special category for participants under 21. The competition is divided into two sections: those who are between 16 and 21, and those under 16.
The theme of this category is open, and covers a wide range of topics including nature, people, landscapes, abstract, details or other styles of photography. All images should show the photographer’s creative or artistic ability, demonstrating the use of light, composition and creative vision that contribute to a photograph’s ability to portray a message or story. To enter this category the photographer does not need to use a professional camera, but can use any digital camera that shoots high quality photos. Images from mobile phones are not allowed. Participation as a group is also allowed if submissions are made via a school, college, university or other educational institution.
• Colour photo print (open): Open section for colour photo prints.
• Monochrome photo print (open): Open section for monochrome photo prints.
Entry fee from AED 40 (approx. 10 USD).
Open to everyone worldwide.
Carrying a total prize purse of over AED 1 million (approx. 270,270 USD) – the highest in the world for such a competition - the grand prize is awarded to the best work that presents innovative creative ideas in the main theme, while golden, silver and bronze medals go to the first three positions submitted under each theme.
Honorary awards are granted to distinct artworks, while the Nour Ali Rashid Award is given to the Emirati photographer of the year, and the Emirati Photograph Award to a UAE-based photographer. The competition also awards 15 golden medals as part of the Arab Photography Award, and 10 golden medals to the best collective contribution by international photography associations and clubs.
Each year’s winners are invited to the Awards Ceremony in Abu Dhabi. The competition’s winning and distinct artworks are presented as part of an exhibition – considered by many as one of Arabia’s most important photographic art shows. An album featuring a wide selection of competition accepted entries is also produced yearly.